Monday, February 29, 2016

Basic Sewing Skills

Because I sew enormous historical and fantasy costumes, people always ask if I sew my own clothes. I immediately answer: HELL NO. I have a job, I have a life! Sewing is a hobby, sure, but it's also a huge time-suck, and when I want something to wear every day to work, I get a lot better return-on-investment from just buying a dress or top from Target or Macy's. Ain't nobody got time for that.

However, having basic sewing skills is a great help for minor alterations that can make off-the-rack clothes fit and look better or be more personalized. This dress is a great example. I saw it on eBay and figured it'd fit, but it was originally about floor-length for 5'2" me. Chopping off a straight hem is super-simple, and hemming by hand gives it a professional look. The alteration took maybe 30 minutes. That's a good ROI!


What I'm wearing: Black pinstripe linen dress, eBay | Black belt, NY & Company | Black tights, Hue | Black heeled lace-up boots, Aerosoles | Black & silver beaded necklace, random accessory store | Black skull earrings, local artisan

No comments:

Post a Comment