Friday, June 17, 2011

Random Friday!

Just sharing a few bits whilst I work from home...

Handy link about shopping at discount stores (meaning Forever 21, H&M, etc.). Seems geared towards more mature ladies who don't want to look cheap / too young, & has excellent tips on looking for quality, judging what items are worthwhile.

I may have to steal this idea about using kid's sippy cups for cocktail parties ... it's alcohol abuse to spill one's drink!

Speaking of drinks, I'm madly in love with Peju Province Winery's Provence wine. It's a light, fruity red, almost a rose, but not really. Tastes like sunshine & roses, serve chilled, perfect for summer.

Lest you think it's all shopping, partying, & drinking around here at CorpGoth HQ, I'm busy at work, plus all my off hours are currently filled working on a very complicated cross-dressing costume for me to portray Leonard Autie, hairdresser for Marie Antoinette, at an 18th-century event on July 9. All I've finished so far is the embroidered silk waistcoat & tall powdered wig, plus I bought a ruffled shirt & linen stock (like a necktie). I have to hustle to sew the actual suit!

This will be complicated by the fact that my husband & I are doing a little roadtrip over July 4th weekend. Fun, but no sewing time then.

4 comments:

  1. As someone who has a plethora of experience putting non-kid drinks in sippy cups, a word of warning....remove the no-spill valve before putting in anything with carbonation. Something about the valve plus bubbles means some serious overflow/backspill problems. Someone who actually understands science can explain the phenomenon better, but trust me on this one.

    I actually have had some luck shopping at discount stores. I think the best options are jackets and sweaters, but sometimes there are other nice things. One of my favorite skirts is Hit & Miss, which is how my BFF and I refer to H & M. I would suggest always skipping the dresses unless you have an exceptionally short torso. They are invariably too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lazysubculturalgirl - Hah! Good tip about carbonated bevs. For shopping, I have most luck w/accessories, some with jackets. Ditto on the dresses, too short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks for the first link! I love H&M for playing dress-up, but it's hard to know if you're going to walk out with something that looks decent IRL.

    Can you post pics of the costume?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LovleAnjel - I'll definitely post pix of the costume when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete