Monday, November 17, 2014

CorpGoth Status Report: My Commute

This month's status report is about your commute, whether to work or school, whether it's across town or across the room. I hope you share a little something about how you start or end your day, what you see or what you wear! Post between now and Wednesday the 19th.

As I've mentioned before, I don't drive, which is pretty freakish for a Californian. I consider it analogous to someone who's a vegan (note: I'm a happy meat-eater). I don't drive, it's just a part of who I am, it's a preference, it's a philosophical stance, it's a lot of things, but it's not changing. Much as a vegan doesn't just grow out of it or something, I'm not going to suddenly start driving one day.

Thus, my commute to work is always a little bit complicated. I have to plan in advance. Then again, like vegetarians in a meat-eating world, this non-driver in a car-centric world is used to it. My current job is about 15 miles away, which can be a 20- or 30-minute drive. But thanks to Silicon Valley's weak public transit system, it takes at least 45 minutes on the most-efficient light rail route for me to get to work -- IF my husband drives me to the train station, PLUS a three-block walk to my office. Oh well.

I make the most of my time by bringing both my iPod and my iPad so I can either listen to podcasts or surf the web, checking in on email and social media before I get to work. I read through my favorite blogs and often compose a few blog posts for CorpGoth and Frock Flicks on the train to or from work. It's not the most ergonomic setup for computer use, but at least I can get stuff done. I have a feeling I may be doing some sewing on the train soon, due to upcoming projects. Any way to use the time!

At least the light rail is relatively uncrowded most days, and it runs on time. And it's not far from my office. Oddly enough, there's this life-size bronze statue, pictured here, near the waiting area at the station near my office. It's of two children riding an crocodile, one kid holding a parasol. Why? No idea! There's no marker, no indication of the artist or the piece's name or date. I presume it was added when the station was built. I walk past this almost every day and can't help but smile.

What I'm wearing: Dark grey pinstripe dress, made by Donna | Black cardigan, Macy's | Black cat-print scarf, Etsy | Black kitten-heel shoes, Aldo | Black tights, Calvin Klein | Silver & pearl earrings, vintage from my grandmother




No comments:

Post a Comment