Friday, September 7, 2012

First Lady in Goth

Not quite the First Lady of Goth -- there's a few others vying for that title -- but the first lady of the United States showed a little bit of her gothic side on Wednesday night with a gorgeous dress that I sure as heck want a knockoff version of. For that matter, the grey manicure she sported all week at the Democratic National Convention drew references to "high school goth" (tho' admittedly that color has been one of the trendy nail colors for a while now).

Obviously, Michelle Obama is no Siouxie Sioux, I won't claim that. But Michelle does have fabulous style & is no pastel-clad Stepford Wife. While she favors classic shapes, she often chooses bold colors with interesting, intricate details & unusual patterns.

According to Twitter, this particular dress was designed by Thom Browne & is, of course, a custom creation. It's hard to tell from these pictures & from what I remember of the few shots I saw on TV, but the dress appeared to be a little longer than knee-length & fell in an A-line shape from a waist seam with two pleats in the front. The black lace gave a dressy touch laid over the grey in what seemed to be a menswear-style wool crepe.

I could easily see wearing this with a black cardigan & tall black boots for work or with a flashy statement necklace & pumps for a dinner date with my sweetie. That's everyday goth fashion I can believe in :-)

Thanks to Ernest Aguayo for rustling up these great photos after the TV appearance!

Photo by Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

Photo by Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the pink and gold number dress too. The flutter of excitement over her nail color has been kind of funny. Good business for the salons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks amazing. I think the grey flatters her wery well. I would have looked like a grey mouse in it. Nice that she doesnt follow the other president wifes dresscode :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the pink one too -- & I read there's going to be a knockoff version coming out soon. Can only hope there will be a version of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love grey & black! The cut of the dress also helps make it look very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that dress : ) its so elegant and graceful :D I want it! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her style is so incredible; I've find myself shopping for looks inspired by her. I bet you could easily re-create this dress for yourself.

    ReplyDelete