Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Kind of Classic

I love a sheath dress. It's a classic style that works well on my figure, if I do say so myself. With a slightly high or empire waist & especially with a V neckline, this is the perfect dress shape. Any sleeve option will work, & the length can be to the knee or longer in just about any fabric, color, or print (I mean, colors & prints that I like, of course ;-). I'm always on the lookout for more, which is why I bought this one in three colors, black, grey, & this red.

What I'm wearing:
Red sheath dress, Target
Lace tights, Target
Black slingback pumps, Payless Shoe Source
Black & silver chunky necklace, Target
Silver & garnet poison ring, eBay
Black shell dangly earrings, random accessory store


Is there a particular dress shape you love? Do you buy multiples of it?

4 comments:

  1. Envy! That style suits my figure, too, but the dresses within my price range all end an inch or so above the knee on me. I know I err on the conservative side (in this, and perhaps only this, respect!), but knee-length is what I require for a professional outfit. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Particular dress shape? Well, I like fitted styles, and have a predilection for sarong style drapes on skirts, so I've made that style in a few different fabrics. Pencil skirts, I've used the exact same pattern to make at least four skirts thus far...


    As for buying multiples of something? Shoes, if I find a shape that I love and is comfortable, yes, I'll get it in multiple colours, as you well know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have to say, keep looking! I literally shop everywhere & don't rule any shop out. Also, consider going a little bit above your price range if you still can't find anything -- sometimes, the less expensive lines cater to more trendy / juniors styling, which can end up with shorter skirts, whereas the more expensive lines are targeted towards more "mature" & professional women who want knee-length dresses. The bonus is that you'll find better quality materials & tailoring so the clothes will last longer. And in a classic sheath style, you'll get enough use out of it that the cost-per-wear will end up making the dress very affordable. Finally, consider tailoring. Hems are one of the easiest & cheapest alterations. Better quality skirts tend to have a bit of fabric that can be let out, tho of course it depends on how tall you are. HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost bought that dress - now I wish I had! Still not tights or hose weather here, which makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete