Thursday, October 18, 2012

Spirit Day

October 19th is Spirit Day -- An annual day in October when millions of Americans wear purple to speak out against bullying and to show their support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth. This began in response to media coverage of suicides of several gay teenagers a couple years ago. These kids, like many others, felt that killing themselves was the only way out of the torture of being constantly harassed & bullied by their peers. They didn't know then that it could get better when they grew up. They needed support from adults & other kids to see that it's OK to be different, it's OK to be gay, it's OK to be who you are.

Goths should understand this, since we often got picked on in school for being different. And just as in the larger community, there is an LGBT presence in the goth subculture too. Let's stand together against bullying. Speak out loudly when you can, & on October 19th, all it takes is wearing purple & letting people know why.


What I'm wearing:
Black ruffled knit shirt, Newport News
Black corduroy skirt, H&M
Purple lace-print leggings, Target
Black buckle ankle boots, Aldo
Purple stripes & dots scarf, boutique store
Gunmetal hoop earrings, random accessory store
Purple flower hair pin, random accessory store



7 comments:

  1. I'm not a lover of purple but I do support people banding together against bullies. Glad to see you celebrate spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those leggings are fantastic. I absolutely was out supporting today: I wore purple tights (with spiders), a purple ascot (also with spiders), and a purple hat band. Plus, there's my purple hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome! I esp. love the purple hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck for you celebrate spirit Mens Fur Leather Trench Coat may you need a Black Fur Leather Trench Coat in this web:http://www.cwmalls.com/men-s-fur-leather-coat-luxury-slim-lamb-fur-lined-leather-trench-coats-cw819416

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those lace print leggings are lovely :) I like how you included the purple hair-pin too, it really helps bring all the purple together,

    I wore purple ribbons in my jacket and a velvet purple skirt this Spirit Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to give you +50 stars, I think I gave -50 stars by mistake. How do you get the stars to go /up/? Clicking the button just made them go /down/ :(

    ReplyDelete