Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Unexpected Halloween Costumes, With Bonus Purple

First, my outfit -- I didn't wear a costume to work for Halloween. I wore a lot of purple though. Because today was my last day at Yahoo!. After 11 and a half years, I'm moving on to a new job, and I wanted to pay a little tribute, in my own way, to the company by wearing its signature color with a gothic twist.

What I didn't expect was that my coworkers had their own costume plans: They dressed up as *ME* today! I didn't notice at first because, sure, a lot of women sometimes wear black, especially in winter and on Halloween. But then a coworker came up and pointedly asked if I noticed anything different. Well, I'd never seen her wear lipstick before, and she rarely wears dresses. Or boots. Or tights. And wait, her hair isn't naturally wavy! Yep, she was imitating my style intentionally.

Then she pointed out other people wearing black dresses or jackets, wearing purple tights, wearing long scarves. My boss even put a threaded needle in the lapel of her black jacket as a symbol of my sewing skills.


I was gobsmacked. What an amazing tribute. These are some awesome people, and I'm really going to miss working with them. While I'm excited about new challenges, the people at this office are truly priceless and definitely NOT why I'm leaving. I'm honored to have worked with such smart and fun folks.


What I'm wearing:
Purple damask jacket with lace trim, made by Donna
Black sheath dress, Target
Black tights, Calvin Klein
Purple lace-up boots, Roaman's
Black & purple crystal Victorian-esque earrings, random accessory store
Jet & gunmetal cocktail ring, random accessory store
Silver & amethyst pinky ring, Acanthusleaf Jewelry







15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic! Good luck on your new job ventures and those people are sooo sweet and I love the tribute to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love purple, so obviously I love your outfit!



    That must have been a difficult decision to leave Yahoo! after 11-1/2 years - it's always tough to say goodbye... Best of luck in your new career, whatever that may be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it wasn't easy, but it was about time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't believe they did that, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic send-off! It's always nice to know you were appreciated, even on the way out. I'm sure you'll rock your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a great send-off for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely send off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, that is a fantastic coat. Seems like you worked with some fantastic people! Good luck at your new job.

    ReplyDelete