So I thought I'd share my own fashion saves & splurges -- please share some yours in the comments!
My top cheap-outs:
Things I can't stand paying full-price for or buying fancy brands...
- Sandals (they're just going to get beat up, besides, there's hardly any there there)
- Underwear (plain cheap cotton bikinis in a 3-pack, thanks)
- Most accessories (hair pins, scarves, belts, flashy jewelry; I might make jewelry out of expensive materials, but I'll rarely buy it)
- Skin care products (plain drugstore stuff only)
- T-shirts & similar "layering" pieces (solid color, boring-but-necessary basics that will be worn underneath sweaters & jackets -- why spend more? I buy a bunch of cheap ones in black & a few other dark colors, replace as needed)
Things I have a hard time passing up, even tho' they're pricey...
- Lipstick (so creamy, such deep pigments, so many colors! hard to find all that in the cheaper ones)
- Tights (I'm a convert -- expensive brands tend to last longer & also have a wider range of sizes, unlike the "one size fits some" cheapos)
- Perfume & scents (I don't wear them often anymore, but what I do like is always high quality, such as Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs or a couple designer scents like Anna Sui; my husband has this same addiction, & oh boy, does he smell great!)
- Hangers (Joan Crawford was right: No more wire coat hangers! they wreak havoc on your clothes -- but that said, I sometimes find my fave. padded, reinforced steel hangers on sale at Ross or TJ Maxx...)
- Jeans that fit (my petite plus-size holy grail, especially if they're black! I will pay any amount of money if/when I find jeans that feel & look good on me; they're so dang rare)