Tuesday, March 15, 2011

TropiGoth Fashion Show, Part 2

And here's the second of my TropiGoth outfit posts -- this one's all about the dresses.

I have a mad passion for sundresses. There's something so easy & breezy about little dresses you wear with nothing but undies & cute shoes. I collect them, but I don't seem to have enough reasons to wear sundresses -- except for tropical vacations! This may be why I invented TropiGoth in the first place...

What I'm wearing, outfit #1:
Black, white, & purple print sundress, Target
Black leather sandals with flowers, Target
Black shell choker, bought on a Florida trip
White dangly shell earrings, Icing
Black Baby Phat purse, swapped with a friend

My husband took this photo when we were strolling through our favourite little town of Koloa, not far from our condo in Kauai.


This trip was to celebrate my 42nd birthday (maybe now I'll figure out the answer to Life, the Universe, & Everything! I'm still waiting for clues, but I do know where my towel is ;-)

We went to the best restaurant on the island, Roy's Poipu Grill, for dinner that night. It's always great, but they treated us extra-special for my birthday. Highly recommended.

What I'm wearing, outfit #2:
Pink print sheath dress, Liberty of London for Target
Black thick velvet (or low-pile fur?) ankle-strap wedge sandals with sparkly bead trim, Payless Shoe Source
Black shell choker, bought on a Florida trip
White dangly shell earrings, Icing
Two pink flower hair pins, Icing
Pink lipstick
Black Baby Phat purse, swapped with a friend




Ok, I know this is practically the same as my first daytime dress outfit, but my hair is down, there's a macaw in the background, & check out the awesome amethyst necklace I'm wearing! That's a birthday gift from my sweetie. He knows what I like.

What I'm wearing, outfit #3:
Black, white, & purple print sundress, Target
Black leather sandals with flowers, Target
Amethyst necklace, gift from husband
White dangly shell earrings, Icing
Black Baby Phat purse, swapped with a friend

The location here is the Kauai Grand Hyatt Resort's lobby, which is enormous & has a tropical garden complete with three giant macaws. We had brunch at the Hyatt that day, also highly recommended because the buffet is excellent & the ocean & garden views are spectacular.


For our final night on the island, we went to another fancy restaurant, the Beach House. As the name suggests, it's right on the ocean. Alas, we didn't get a table with a view, but we did walk outside the restaurant, along the shore, after our meal. We could see a million, billion stars, plus we saw some night divers in the water.

What I'm wearing, outfit #4:
Red & white Hawaiian-print sheath dress, Hilo Hattie
Black thick velvet (or low-pile fur?) ankle-strap wedge sandals with sparkly bead trim, Payless Shoe Source
Black wood bead necklace, bought on a Jamaica tripWhite dangly shell earrings, Icing
Red flower hair pin, Icing
Red lipstick
Black Baby Phat purse, swapped with a friend

If you go to Hawaii, you have to wear at least one piece of traditional aloha garb. C'mon, get in the spirit! If this goth gal can, you can too. I bought this dress a few trips ago, & while I always look for updates, the classic print & shape is hard to beat. Plus, red is just so easy to goth up :-)

Want to see photos of the trip itself (including a detailed tour of the condo, just in case you're looking for a place to stay in Kauai)? Check out my photoset on Flickr!

5 comments:

  1. I love the sheath dress you wore for your b-day (yay! 42! If only you knew what the question was).

    Hilo Hattie's is still around? Man, I remember my entire family buying matching outfits from there back in 1977. Seriously, they were insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see a goth girl get into tropical colors! I also love them. You do it well. I love those Payless sandals! It's hard to find feminine sandals with a good shape like those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially love the first dress! I want one, too!!! (Unfortunataly we don't have Target in Europe as far as I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have guessed that bright print dresses could be Gothified so awesomely. Nicely done! And the Payless sandles are the best.

    It's also amazing that you can maintain such fair skin on a tropical vacation. I can't even set foot outside for five minutes with SPF100 before I turn brown, but maybe that's partly due to living in a desert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that same LoL dress, and I can't wait for it to warm up enough so that I can wear it again! I love how you styled it here!

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete