Friday, November 11, 2011

A Few Nifty Links From the Week

Just some stuff I've read recently that I liked so much, I thought I'd share!

Ruffles Not Diets has a fantastic how-to post about hair updos for work. Don't miss the video at the end of the post -- I'm pretty inept at doing braids & buns, but that vid makes it look awfully easy!
Norma Talmadge, 1920s

My BFF Sarah of Mode Historique analyzes former Ukranian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko's awesome crown braid and recreates the look in a fabulous fashion.

Salon wonders if short-haired women are less attractive. Answer: No, duh, but isn't it interesting how women's hair length is such a culturally loaded topic...

The New York Times reports on the trend of expensive designer lipsticks, ranging from $30 to $60 per tube. Estee Lauder has long claimed that lipstick sales go up during a recession (tho' there's no proof of this). I fully admit I love fancy lipstick, but I've yet to crack $30. What's the most you'll pay for lippie?

Green Apples has a multi-part sewing plan for her fall/winter wardrobe featuring tops, jackets/coats/pants, and dresses. You don't have to sew to get some great inspiration from these lists because the patterns she chose are a lovely mix of modern & retro styling, many are things you may find in ready-to-wear or thrift stores, & all would be quite gothable.

Being High Maintenance, not Bitchy (awesome blog name, btw) has useful tips for how to care for your leather garments. Appropriate to the season & especially to goths.

The Vivienne Files has 10 Trivial Travel Thoughts that I didn't find trivial at all. I travel a lot, but I'd never thought to use safety pins to create pants-hangers (so useful!). Also, we should all know my feelings on "leggings are not pants" -- I saw a bit too much of that on my last trip.

Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing takes on the touchy subject of what we talk about when we talk about weight in a thoughtful & positive fashion. Well worth reading.

The Daily Show's Samantha Bee has a conversation with her Spanx. Very silly.

My amazing friend Laina at Keeping Off 200 Pounds has a useful post about indoor exercise that doesn't involve the gym. I'm not a big fan of exercise, but I'm even less a fan of the gym, & these suggestions are pretty simple & good ways to keep active when the weather blows.

I never learned to ride a bike, but I'm fascinated by You Look Fab's post on stylish urban cycling. This seems so doable -- looking good while biking around town. Exercise, saving money, appearing posh... I want to try...

And finally, Advanced Style has some fantastic life & style tips from a 100-year-old lady. She knows what's what!

What have you been reading around the interwebs lately?

5 comments:

  1. Love the link to stylish urban cycling! Very timely for me, as well. I read an article a while back about biking in heels that totally made my day and got me thinking about my new commute starting soon, and while I couldn't find that one, I found this which I also love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those travel tips were worth it for the pill envelopes/extra prescription stickers tip alone! I'm on 4 medications, and the pill bottles take up so much space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look amazing on my bike. It is because it is a ridiculously beautiful bike. I think the fall foliage that I have ziptied all over it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the post about stylish cycling - I'm a cyclist myself (although I go for speed rather than style - plus, on a 22-mile round-trip commute it's hard to stay stylish with all the sweat ;)) and I find it interesting to read about things of this sort :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely blog review!! You showed me a lot of nice new blogs. I sure will try one of Ruffle not diets updos, since I have quite long hair but never have the time to do something about it in the mornings before work. Somtimes i just stick a pen in it and twirl to a knot. And I'm a new follower of Green Apple since I'm addicted to sewing. Have a lovely weekend /Therese

    ReplyDelete