Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sophistique Noir November Theme: Hosiery

This month's theme is a great one: Hosiery! From fishnets to stripeys to spiderweb tights, every goth gal loves some legwear. I have one & a half drawers full of different kinds of stockings, & I couldn't pick just one to feature, so here's a rundown of my faves.

1. Black tights by Calvin Klein -- These are my absolute favorite everyday hose. I buy a dozen, & they last two or three years before any pairs get holes, stretch out, or anything. Nearly indestructible. Plus, they come in a slightly wider range of sizes than most brands, meaning they fit my petite-plus self quite well. Call me one satisfied customer!


2. Colored tights -- I really like soft colors for tights. The purple & grey get worn most often because I think they add a sophisticated touch to an otherwise dark outfit. These ones are also a great contrast to an occasional pop of color.




3. Fishnets, especially colorful ones -- Black fishnets are classic & are even acceptable in many not-super-conservative workplaces now. But color fishnets are even better for work, imo, because they read less "sexy" & more "fun" & "hip." They're a little unexpected, yet they can blend in at the same time, if you choose shoes & skirt carefully.



4. Stripes -- Of course, I have stripey tights, tho' I don't tend to wear them to the office that much. I mostly save them for weekends & party time. But if I can tone them down in an outfit, the stripeys come to the office. I like 'em in lots of colors (sensing a theme here?) & even vertical.



5. Spiderweb tights -- Oh yes, the spiderwebs can work at work! They're subtly spooky.


6. Lace stockings -- I love lacy tights! But these seem to be the most prone to snagging, tearing, & generally not lasting very long. So I never have more than one pair available at a time, foo. But I'm always on the lookout for more, & they can't be very expensive because I know they'll rip up (even the pricey brands). Ah well, they are so pretty.



What is your favorite kind of hosiery? Best brands? Where do you shop? Let me know in the comments!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, I am jealous of your hosiery collection- especially those vertical purple stripes! I am currently experimenting with shimmery danskin tights because of their durability- they hold up reasonably well through roller derby bouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tights collection is fantastic! Thanks for the tip about the Calvin Klein tights. If they are expensive they are worth the price if they don't rip in several years! I love your coloured fishnets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I want to know, is where do you get your shoes? I am loving the black and white ones in the first picture , as well as the purple pair with the roses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want the vertical purple stripes and the red fishnets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! I really love the purple rose shoes and the black ones with pink roses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could find more of the vertical stripeys too! But no luck & that pair is just about worn out. Danskins & other tights made for dancewear are a good bet -- they last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always on the lookout for hose that come in multiple sizes (not the dreaded "one size fits some") & that are durable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee, I just keep hunting for wacky tights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All over! The b/w shoes are by American Eagle & bought at Marshalls & the purple ones are by Rocket Dog bought at Macys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The purple shoes are by Rocket Dog (great brand, very comfy) bought at Macys, & the black & pink shoes are by Irregular Choice bought in London (another great brand, comfy & tons of quirky styles). Both brands can be found online.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO many fabulous tights, and equally fabulous shoes!!! I love the soft colors. Thank you for reminding me that my grey ones are under-used! Grey tights + purple shoes are a brilliant combination that I never would have thought to try... And I happen to have a pair of purple shoes that I find notoriously difficult to style. Hmm... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the Calvin Klein tights, too. Just kind of discovered them last year, but I won't be buying anything else now!



    I really like your purple tights in the second picture - what brand are those?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the spiderweb tights and the shoes in the first pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know the grey tights are CK, but I can't recall where the purple ones are from (no tag!). I often find designer brands at Marshalls tho - that can be a good place to try out expensive ones & also find some odd colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the great theme this month!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I can't help falling in love with those purple fishnet tights! Their lovely! :) And I wouldn't mind having a shoe collection like your either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love colors www.welovecolors.com is my go to tight source.

    ReplyDelete